Larry Sandefer has handled well over 5,000 criminal cases. Over 200 of these have resulted in jury trials of from one day to several weeks in length. These trials have included numerous first degree murder cases, multi-jurisdictional drug and homicide conspiracies, drug trafficking, sales and possessions, sexual battery, lewdness and exposure charges, arson, white collar crimes including trade secrets and fraud, robbery, theft, assault and battery, domestic violence, traffic deaths, DUI, resisting arrest, shoplifting, abuse allegations of children and the elderly, embezzlement, insurance fraud, burglary, kidnaping, and many other criminal charges.
In 1986, Mr. Sandefer opened his own office and has continued in the defense of criminal cases since that time. He was one of the first attorney's in the State of Florida to become Board Certified in criminal trial law, that occurred in 1987. He has maintained that certification continually since that date.
Mr. Sandefer has been honored with the national recognition of being named to the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers in America. This is a register which lists only the most distinguished law practices, those that signify the highest levels of legal ability and the adherence to professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability, and diligence.
Mr. Sandefer has achieved a rating of AV by Martindale-Hubbell.
Experience, Background, Honors, and Achievements
Professional Experience and Recognitions
- Board Certified as a Criminal Trial Attorney by The Florida Bar since 1987. One of the first attorneys in the state to be awarded certification as a criminal trial lawyer.
- Named to Who's Who in America 1997 - present
- Named to Who's Who in American Law 1997 - present
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell, highest rating available in legal ability and ethics
- Named to the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers in America 2009
- Selected to Florida Super Lawyers 2009
- Selected to Leadership Pinellas 1998
- Past Chairman of Florida Bar Grievance Committee 6A, 2000
- Former Assistant State Attorney 6th Judicial Circuit1978-1986 For Pinellas and Pasco Counties
- Lead Trial Attorney
- Division Director (one of three), supervised one third of the felony and misdemeanor trial divisions, responsible for filing and sentencing decisions, attorney training, trials of major cases including homicides, drug trafficking, sex crimes, and violent crimes.
- On-call Homicide response attorney, responded to scenes of homicides to advise and assist in the on-scene investigation and meet with the medical examiner on scene
- DUI/traffic court supervisor
- Graduate of United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) school on Undercover Narcotics Enforcement Techniques (Miami)
Admitted to Practice before the following courts:
- All Florida State Courts including Florida Supreme Court (1978)
- The United States Supreme Court (1982)
- The United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (New Orleans) (1981)
- The United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals (Atlanta) (1981)
- The United States Middle District of Florida (1978)
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Pinellas County Trial Lawyers Association
- Pinellas County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Clearwater Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Florida Bar